Kirklees and Calderdale Independent M.E. Support Group.
AGM 5 July 2018
Committee’s Report, June 2017 – June 2018
1. Events and activities organised during the last year include :-
• Social meeting in July 2017 in Shibden Park
• Screenings of the documentary Unrest at The Square Chapel, Halifax in October 2017 and, Hebden Bridge Picture House in April 2018 – with an Information Stall about ME /KCIMESG at each screening.
• Xmas Dinners in December in Halifax (special thanks to Leah at Angel’s Rest for her superb home cooking) & Huddersfield.
• June/July 2018 – 6 sessions of Qigong/Seated Meditation at The Media Centre, Huddersfield
• Campaign meeting with local MPs and health trusts
• Continuing our support for Dr Myhill’s MAIME campaign
• 6 sessions of Qigong with seated meditation in The Media Centre, Huddersfield. ( with financial support from Disability Sport Yorkshire ) These are very relaxing and have received positive feedback
• Coffee mornings (in Halifax) and afternoons in (Huddersfield) every month as well as occasional meet ups in Hebden Bridge.
2. Our Facebook group continues to flourish and is a useful source of support and information. It now has 99 members.
3. Membership changes – the membership year now runs from April –April to coincide with the financial year and the fee reduced to £5. Membership numbers have increased to 37 from 22.
4. Thank you to all the members of the committee who have continued to work hard this year :
• Denise who took over the post of Chair which has been vacant for a few years and has injected a renewed sense of purpose to committee meetings as well as bringing much needed computer skills. She has also taken over from Patricia in editing the newsletter and has designed a new information flyer about the group,
• Coffee meeting hosts, Fiona and Hilary
• Debbie, contact person,
• Dave , membership secretary ,
• Alan , Treasurer /email contact
• Wayne for keeping our website and polices up-to-date ( especially with regard to the new Data Protection Laws ) , successfully applying for a grant for gentle exercise sessions and organising our campaigning work with Healthwatch and the Health Trusts and MPs
• Fiona and Patricia who moderate the Facebook group which continues to flourish and provide a wealth of information about coping with ME.
• We also appreciate the support of our members for whom attending events can often be such a struggle due to limited energy and pain.
• Chris , Secretary ( and now the new email contact person )
• Dylan , who along with Wayne, has been active in campaigning re NICE guidelines and re the lack of quality services for people with ME
• Meg , committee member and involved in our campaigning work
5. Patricia, Debbie and Alan are leaving their roles on the committee and deserve many thanks for their hard work and commitment for many years. We have a great committee who put in many hours and do so with such good humour. Hilary joined the committee in May and been acting as temporary Treasurer. Currently we are unable to offer a telephone contact service and still need new committee members to help with editing the newsletter and inspiring new ideas!
6. Thanks all our members who have joined or renewed this year, those who struggle out to come to our events despite their poor health and offer support via Facebook to those struggling with the impact of this wretched illness.